Friday, May 4, 2012

Pleased to meet you

Hey there, I'm Ron.  I'm a software developer, a father and a husband.  I'm one of the lucky ones out there who loves what they do.  Building software happens to be what I do for a living, but it's also a hobby of mine.  I've been developing since the days of my Commodore 64 so I think I have a few things to say about development that might be worth reading about.

In my day job, I work for a software shop that builds a very large scale POS revenue collection system.  Our system runs worldwide with tens of thousands of end users and billions of dollars flow though our system  annually.  Does that sound big?  I hope so, because it's a huge system.  The company has a rich history and equally rich software.  The system was born in the 80s and has evolved ever since.  New features are conceived of and build constantly.  As our industry and customers evolve, we evolve; to stay on the cutting edge with what we do and to aid our customers in building their businesses.

I was fortunate enough to join the company in the early days (1996 to be exact) so I've seen the software evolve and was round for many of the major milestones of the system.  Watching such a large system evolve over the years has taught me lessons that you'll never learn in school.  I've been though development methodology changes, compiler changes, IDE changes, platform changes, product changes, source control changes - the list goes on and on.  If there's a mistake to be made, we've made it.  If there were things to learn, we've learned them.  In my field, you never stop learning and I hope to chronicle a bit of that knowledge here.



No comments:

Post a Comment